It's that time of month again! It's Surprise Recipe Swap time, brought to you by Hungry Little Girl. A bunch of bloggers have been assigned each other's blogs to choose and try each others recipes. We aren't allowed to say who's blog we are cooking from, so on the 20th of each month, we get to find out who cooked what, from our blogs. This month I was assigned to Like Mother, Like Daughter. Aimee is the one who started this blog, which in turn inspired her mom, Ellen, to be more creative in the kitchen. As a team, they share amazing recipes, with spectacular photos.
I had so much fun going through this blog. I had a hard time choosing what I wanted to make, because well I wanted to make everything!! I actually did make 2 recipes, but forgot to take photos of the Neapolitan Pancakes (pancakes with chocolate chips and strawberries cooked in). I don't mind though, because it gives me a reason to make the pancakes again, so I can share them with you, LOL.
The recipe I did take the time to photograph was the taquito recipe. We love Tex Mex food, but I seldom make taquitos. I did make some once and they just weren't that spectacular. However, these sounded REALLY good, so I went ahead and tried them. Boy, am I glad I did! These are super yummy and so easy to make. I love that the chicken is cooked in the crock pot, so I could throw it in, in the morning and then in about 30 minutes, at dinner time, dinner is ready. I LOVE the addition of the bacon, corn and black beans in here. They add wonderful salty, creamy sweetness to the taquitos. I also love that these are baked, so they are a bit more figure friendly. I had 2 for lunch and my tummy was pleasantly full, until dinner time.
Baked Creamy Chicken & Bacon Taquitos
adapted from Like Mother, Like Daughter
1 cups water
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 1/2 TBS cumin
1 1/2 TBS chili powder
1 TBS garlic, minced
1 can diced green chiles
3 chicken breasts
4 oz cream cheese (I use low fat, or no fat), softened
2 cups cheddar jack cheese (or Monterrey jack, Colby jack, cheddar, etc)
3 green onions, diced
6-8 pieces of bacon
1 can corn, drained **
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed **
small or medium tortillas
**optional : I used half a can each of corn and black beans, after I’d already used half the mixture. Both ways were delicious.
1. Combine water, bouillon cube, cumin, chili powder, garlic, green chiles and chicken breastsin the crock pot and cook chicken for about 4 hours on high or about 6 hours on low.
2. Remove chicken and shred. Using either 2 forks. Or by putting the chicken in the kitchen aid bowl and flat mixer, for about 30 seconds, till shredded.
3. Return shredded chicken to the crock pot.
4. Meanwhile, cook bacon. Crumble into small pieces.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
5. Combine cream cheese, cheddar jack cheese, green onions, bacon, corn and black beans in a large bowl.
6. Pour crock pot chicken and sauce mixture through a strainer and add to mixture. Stir well.
7. Spread chicken mixture down the middle of tortilla (about 3 TBS)
8. Roll tortilla up tightly. Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet.
9. Spray tops of taquitos with cooking spray, and salt lightly.
10. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.
Enjoy dipped in salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yum!
If you'd like to also participate in the Surprise Recipe Swap every month, click on the photo below, to sign up!!
This post linked to
See Ya in the Gumbo
What's Cookin' Wednesday
Wicked Good Wednesday
Your Creative Time Out
Create it Thursday
Full Plate Thursday
Thursday Favorite Things