Meal planning is a great way to save money on groceries and you won't be standing in front of the fridge at 4pm, wondering what to make!
|Image courtesy of basketman at FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
Have you ever thought of meal planning? If not, do you think it's something that might help you? Before I started meal planning, I was always struggling with deciding what to make for dinner. I'd procrastinate and by the time I knew it, it would be 4 o'clock, I'd be starving and I'd have nothing thawed for dinner. So, we would either go out, order in, or make something pre packaged and full of chemicals and preservatives. Now I'm not opposed to using boxed or canned foods to make life easier, but there is just something about cooking meals from scratch that makes me feel like I'm doing something good for my family.
When I started meal planning I basically just made a list of our favorite recipes, and would decide what recipe to make every morning when I woke up. Once I started blogging and being more confident with my cooking ability, I started adding in a few new recipes each week and our list of favorite meals grew. Now I find that if I haven't meal planned for the week, we end up eating junky dinners. So meal planning has become a must for me. Here are a few tips and tricks to get you started with meal planning.
- Make a list of what meals your family likes.
- Decide how many days you actually want to cook dinner (if you don't want to cook every day, that's OK!)
- Choose a meal, for everyday you want to cook (you don't have to assign it a certain day)
- Write down your list and place it on your fridge, or somewhere in the kitchen where you will see it.
- When getting coffee in the morning, look at your list and decide what you'd like to cook that day. Take out any necessary proteins to thaw.
- Feel proud that you are so organized and have a game plan for the week
- Choose a few more meals from your list for the following week and repeat
This week should be nice and quiet, which is much needed. Here is what I have planned. I am bringing one or two recipes I still haven't gotten to, from previous weeks